- 1 Are water levels low on the Danube?
- 2 What is the best month to cruise the Danube?
- 3 What is the depth of the Danube River?
- 4 How much of the Danube is navigable?
- 5 What is the best time of year for a European river cruise?
- 6 Why is the Danube called Blue?
- 7 What is the best Danube River cruise?
- 8 Which is better Rhine or Danube cruise?
- 9 What is the best Danube river cruise line?
- 10 What is the Danube well known for?
- 11 What is the Danube river famous for?
- 12 Is the Danube river polluted?
- 13 Why Vienna is called Queen of the Danube?
- 14 Can you navigate the Danube?
Are water levels low on the Danube?
Water levels aren’t uniform. That is to say, if there’s low water on the Danube, the entire Danube isn’t affected. In 2014, water levels were too low for many ships to pass between the German cities of Passau and Regensburg. In past years, the stretch heading across the Austria-Hungary border has been problematic.
What is the best month to cruise the Danube?
The Danube River is a charming destination to visit at almost any time of the year, though most travel experts agree the that best times to take a Danube cruise are Spring (April and May) and Fall ( September and October).
What is the depth of the Danube River?
Depths vary from 3 to 26 feet (1 to 8 metres). The Danube swells substantially at Passau where the Inn River, its largest upstream tributary, carries more water than the main river.
Since ancient times, the Danube has been a traditional trade route in Europe. Today, 2,415 km (1,501 mi) of its total length are navigable.
What is the best time of year for a European river cruise?
Best Times to Take European River Cruises The European River cruising season runs from March through December, though the best time to take a river cruise in Europe is during the late spring (April-May) or early fall (September-October).
Why is the Danube called Blue?
Strauss recalled a poem by Karl Isidor Beck (1817-79). Each stanza ends with the line: ‘By the Danube, beautiful blue Danube ‘. It gave him the inspiration and the title for his new work – although the Danube could never be described as blue and, at the time the waltz was written, it did not flow through Vienna.
What is the best Danube River cruise?
Best Danube River Luxury Small Ship Cruises
- Magna on the Danube – Vilshofen to Budapest.
- Magna on the Danube – Budapest to Vilshofen.
- Christmas Markets on the Danube – Cruise Only.
- Christmas Markets on the Danube.
- Gems of the Danube.
- Danube Waltz.
- Grand European Tour: Amsterdam to Budapest.
- The Legendary Danube – Cruise Only.
Which is better Rhine or Danube cruise?
While the Danube is a little more scenic than the Rhine, particularly along Austria’s Wachau Valley, both rivers have relatively flat bike paths that stretch for miles. Wine lovers will also enjoy both itineraries.
What is the best Danube river cruise line?
In our opinion, the following companies are the very best luxury river cruise lines in Europe:
- Crystal River Cruises.
- Tauck River Cruises.
- Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection.
- Scenic River Cruises.
- Viking River Cruises.
What is the Danube well known for?
The Danube is famous for its delicious freshwater fish, such as the carp, rainbow trout, pike, and the sturgeon.
What is the Danube river famous for?
The longest river in the European Union, the Danube River is the second-longest river in Europe after Russia’s Volga. It begins in the Black Forest region of Germany and runs through 10 countries (Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova and Ukraine) on its way to the Black Sea.
Is the Danube river polluted?
Danube is most contaminated river in Europe According to this study, the Danube is the most polluted river with antibiotics in Europe. After taking samples from a Danubian sites in Austria, researchers found traces of up to seven antibiotics surpassing the safety threshold.
Why Vienna is called Queen of the Danube?
Budapest, its capital, is often called the ‘ Queen of the Danube ‘, with its famous chain bridge, castle, and gothic parliament building. The river also flows through Vienna, where Johann Strauss’s famous and popular ‘Blue Danube ‘ was first performed in 1867.
Facts and Figures. Ships can navigate the Danube from 2,411 kilometres upstream all the way down to the Delta. This is 87% of the river’s total length.